Thursday, November 16, 2017

Another Week.

Monday and Tuesday were both a no go but working 12-8 on Wednesday allowed me the morning to ride.  Again the wind was nuts, out of the NW, so I opted to bop around the trails on the fat bike.  Actually, since I started riding the fat bike this fall I haven't ridden anything else!
I did a similar route to past rides, so nothing new.  But what is cool is I was able to ride a bit over 3 hours on trails no more than 3 miles from my house.  While we don't have the best trail system in the state we do have lots of options...that happen to be mostly on the SE side!

Last weekend a couple people cleared some deadfall from a few of these trails.  One of these trails runs along a steep hillside.  12+ years ago I would ride this trail all the time.  It was one of my favorite, despite only being 1/2 mile or less long.  I haven't ridden that trail for the past few years as it had succumbed to lack of use and care.  But now with it cleared (Thanks Trail Fairies!) I've tossed it back into the mix.
It's cut into a steep hill so many trees are overhanging the trail.  I clipped one such tree yesterday and it sent me ass over tea kettle down the steep slope.  My head took a pretty good hit from my bike and my shoulder has some stiffness but overall nothing happened.  Well I broke my Garmin mount.  I've ridden this trail so many times but that is the first it sent me to the bottom of the hill!  It was work getting myself and the bike back up to the trail!

I'm off today.  Earlier in the week I was thinking I would take the Cutthroat out today but the fat bike is looking to get the nod.  Not sure why but I don't like riding drop bar bikes below 40 degrees.  The plan is to head out to Sherburne Wildlife Refuge to see the migrating Sandhill Cranes.  From there I will try and connect up to the Dirt Bag course a bit and home.  No route set, just riding.


No comments: