Friday, November 17, 2017

Finally!

After getting Harper to school and myself ready I was out on the Fat Bike by 8:15.  The wind was E/SE so I headed over to the Sherburne Wildlife Refuge.  I was in search of the migrating Sandhill Cranes, reported up to 10,000.  I rode some of the perimeter and the 7 mile "wildlife" loop and saw nothing!  Not just Sandhill Cranes but no animals!  The lakes and ponds are frozen so I don't know if they've moved on or I was just in the wrong spot.  The refuge is huge so I may have just missed them.

From the Refuge I headed next door to the Sand Dunes.  I've been thru the Dunes before but usually just the  main road.  I took some time and explored.  This place warrants some more time.  Pretty cool area.

I originally thought I'd cut over on Cty Rd 4 back across 10 and make my way over to the Dirt Bag route but I was close to Elk River and have a decent route that way so opted to take that, despite being mostly pavement.  After Monticello I jumped on 75 but avoided that as much as I could with side roads, eventually hitting up parts of the Dirt Bag, just backwards.

I ended with 7 hours and 103 miles...first fat bike century of the season.  I was going more for time and truthfully thought I'd have been out a bit longer.  But pushing those tires and battling the wind kept my engine hot and hungry.  I brought more food than I ever thought I'd need, but ate it all!  I neglected to bring money as I didn't think I would need it.  Man was I hungry on that ride.

I was stoked on the ride nonetheless and happy to finally get a longer ride in.  The rest of the week is filled with our Nordic Team Day at the shop and another Ski Swap in Mora.  I think I can still get rides in, it will just require me getting up at or before 5.  Blah.

Happy Weekend.

No comments: