Monday, February 12, 2018

We Took on the River, and It Won.

Sunday Charlie and I decided on another river adventure.  After last weeks excursion on the Soo Line, Skunk and Rice Lake, and the Platte River we decided to connect the Mississippi up with the Platte and if time allowed the Soo Line and back home on the Great River Road.

We started at the Mississippi River Park North of Sartell.  The plan was to go 2 hours and see where we were at.  If we didn't have enough time we'd just turn around.  This section of the Mississippi was great.  Mostly fast and smooth.  We made it to the Platte in about 40 minutes.  Unlike the Mississippi the Platte is small and twisty.  Plus the going was much more arduous. We were traveling 4-6 mph.

Surprisingly the Platte had much more hazards to navigate than the Mississippi. From ice heaves to open water.  We were both shocked by the open water since this was a small river, not very deep, and it's been so cold lately.

About 30 or so minutes into the Platte I was riding over some hollow ice (no water under neath).  It gave way, my front tire went down 2 feet, and my face head butted a hole in the ice!

As you can see I made a pretty big size hole!  I rung my bell pretty good.  No I wasn't wearing a helmet.  Those that know me know I wear a helmet 99% of the time.  I should have today but didn't.  Honestly though a helmet wouldn't have helped much as I hit the ice with the side of my face.

You can see the cut above my eye and now my cheek bone area is bruised.  Nonetheless a helmet wouldn't have hurt either.  But damn did that hurt!  I must have hit my back somehow too has I have some sore ribs or tweaked muscles.

Being true adventurers we continued on...ha!  Not 10 minutes up we encountered lots of open water.  We started to navigate around it but eventually decided it wasn't worth it as it seemingly wasn't getting any better.  On the way back out my foot busted through and got my left foot wet.  I was in my Wolfgar boots with a vapor barrier so I was still good to go.

Being able to follow our tracks back out we were able to make better time.  Back on the Mississippi we had a crazy tailwind.  We had no idea it had gotten windy as the Platte is so protected.

Our adventure was just tha,t an adventure.  It clocked in at 3 hours, not the 4-5 we anticipated. Even had we pushed past the open water it was clear we were not making the Soo Line in our allotted time.  Maybe next weekend after the warmup.  Ha...nope!


No comments: