Friday, April 06, 2018

Another Chilly Thursday Ride.

Like last Thursday this one was pretty cold in the morning.  We actually dipped to 0 degrees, smashing a 40 year record.  So I stalled a bit and finally headed out on the Cutthroat around 8:45.  While still cold the sun is amazing.
I'm not sure if it's laziness, stubbornness, or a combination but I've been refusing to pull my road pedals off the Cutthroat and put on mtb style pedals so I could use my 45Nrth Japanther shoes.  Instead I've been using my regular road shoes (so comfy for me) with Bontrager Storm Socks (vapor barrier), mid weight sock, and a wind bootie.  Overall it's been just fine.  The toes got a bit cold yesterday but not for long.  Again, the sun, helps!

The wind was South to South West so I opted to head towards Howard Lake.  Basically a straight shot.  County Road 8, 24, and 6.  At Howard Lake I pushed on to Winsted (or Waverly I always get those mixed up) where I made my turn West.  The road I was one turned North sooner than I wanted so I jumped on a gravel section.  I was on gravel for maybe 3-4 miles...what a mess!

When I made my turn to home I recognized where I was, on my way to Darwin, home of the biggest ball of twine made by one man!  Woot!

Of course I had to take a picture.

Time was slipping away and I needed to be home by or before 4 to get two of the girls from school and to gymnastics.  I opted for the most direct route.  I had packed what I thought was enough food for 5-6 hours but my supply was getting low and I didn't bring any money.  I ended up being out there for 7 hours and 120 miles.  I bonked a few times but brought myself back with my meager food supply that I was nursing.
Once home I was famished for anything but had time to just jump into some regular clothes and run off to get Harper!

I'm really loving my Cutthroat.  It's such a comfy bike.  It only has room for a 38 tooth up front so while on the paved road I'm in the smallest gears in back.  I worry about wearing them out but it's just a bike, made for riding.  Ride on.

I opted to skip the Ragnorok this Saturday.  They pushed back the start time and shortened the course.   I have some family stuff tonight and riding 80 miles in potentially bike wrecking gravel isn't my idea of fun.  I usually anguish over decisions like this but not this one.

Happy Weekend!  More snow on Sunday!

No comments: